Glasgow Caledonian University’s strategic aims for the Student Transitions Enhancement Theme are to develop greater institutional awareness of the complexity of transition as a change process and its impact on the student experience, and to develop effective institutional responses to support GCU students make the transition into, through and out of GCU.
As part of its objectives, GCU will problematize student transitions as unexpected change points or challenges and will explore how to make these challenging aspects of university life more familiar and expected. GCU will also adopt a specific focus on entrepreneurial and employability transition skills.
The institutional lead is Alison Nimmo.
- Transition as a change process
- Coping with change/challenges
- Strategic focus on entrepreneurial and employability skills
- Identify current transition activity, focusing on college articulation
- Create an interactive college transition resource
- Create an enhance transitions and support Road Map.
- Develop evidence-based tool to support programme design and delivery
- Pilot a research-led curriculum transitions tool for staff
- Evaluate the potential of creating a credit bearing Caledonian Award to support student transition to the world of work.
Year 2 and 3
- Embed the new Transitions Across Curriculum tool across undergraduate programmes