Student mental wellbeing - creating inclusive curricula and learning environments is a collaborative cluster project. The project aims to develop the processes and tools that academic staff use to design curricula. This will help staff create teaching and learning environments that are inclusive and promote student mental wellbeing. The cluster is being led by Glasgow Caledonian University in collaboration with Heriot-Watt University, University of Stirling and sparqs. The project team will achieve their aims through hosting professional development activities and exploring the possibility of establishing a special interest group on this topic.
Further webinars will focus on the topics generated in the interactive workshop sessions at the January 2020 event; partnership working, accessibility and co-creation.
professional development activity
Student mental wellbeing and teaching during the Covid-19 pandemic
A webinar event was held on 21 May 2020, which featured a presentation from Gareth Hughes, Psychotherapist and Research Lead for Student Wellbeing at the University of Derby. A Wakelet captures the key points from the session.
Student mental wellbeing: Creating inclusive curricula and learning environments
An in-person event was held on 23 January 2020, which featured presentations and interactive workshops. A Wakelet captures the highlights of the day.
You might find the following resources valuable. They cover policy and strategy, research and practice.
- StepChange framework | Universities UK
- The University Mental Health Charter | Student Minds
- Guidance for universities on preventing student suicides | Universities UK
- Minding our future: starting a conversation about the support of student mental health (Guidance on working with NHS) | Universities UK
- Children and young people’s mental health services (Commitment to student mental health in Long Term Plan) | Department for Health and Social Care/NHS England
- Education Transitions Network | Department for Education
- Student mental health and wellbeing working group | Scottish Government
Staff mental health
- Mental health programme for universities | Mind and Goldman Sachs (launched of a pilot programme in 10 universities with focus on workplace wellbeing) | Mind
- The role of academic staff/personal tutors | Student Minds
- Student mental wellbeing in higher education: good practice guide | Universities UK
- Not by degrees: Improving student mental health in the UK's universities | The Progressive Policy Think Tank (commissioned by Universities UK)
- Student Mental Health Research Network | www.smarten.org.uk
- Higher education: student and staff wellbeing and mental health | What Works Centre for Wellbeing - (The Centre has commissioned a major review of evidence on interventions for student mental health and wellbeing which will publish this year)
- Challenge Competition: achieving a step change in mental health outcomes for all students | Office for Students
Specific areas of focus
- Student wellbeing in purpose-built student accommodation | British Property Federation
- The wellbeing thesis | UK Research and Innovation
- Postgraduate research students | UK Research and Innovation
- LGBTQ+ Student Mental Health | Student Minds
- Mental health: are all students being properly supported? (BAME students/broader intersectional approach) | Office for Students
- Australian University mental health framework (currently under development) | Orygen